Saturday 16 February 2008

Politics of Food

They say the personal is political, (they being 1st generation feminists) and these days, it seems there is little in the UK more political than food. From the junk that we feed our kids to  the sleeping arrangement of the chickens we consume, there's a celebrity figure or a government spokesman waggling their finger at us.

Now Delia has weighed in contraversially, saying that plenty of people can't afford organically reared chicken and you shouldn't make pensioners or the low-paid feel guilty about buying the food they can afford. I have to say, I see her point.

This morning I was whipping round Tescos, in my usual whirlwind of efficiency, when I ruefully grinned at how bleddy lower middle-class the contents of my trolley were. From the natural, fat-free, bio-yoghurt to the type of bagged salad that doesn't contain iceberg lettuce. From the wholemeal bread to the branflakes. From the imported raspberries I agonised over due to the airmiles and carbon footprint they represented to the processed meat products that I walk straight past without a second glance. Even slim-line tonic for splashing over the gin. You'd think I'd been brainwashed by some Whitehall numpty telling me what's good for me.

Of course, it wasn't always like this. It used to be Aldi & Iceland - cheap white bread, fishfingers & oven chips. Yes, I fed my daughters that sort of crap - is there a support group I can join where we beat our breasts in guilt? Back then, I bought what was on special, haunted the BOGOFs, and concentrated on what I knew they'd eat, as opposed to what was good for them and might get wasted. Organically reared, corn-fed chicken didn't come into it.

What's more, food inflation is shooting up, so thank goodness the government were sensible enough to move away from the nasty old target of RPI at its current rate of 4.2% and concentrate on the much more benign CPI. Its current rate of 2.2% is drifting further and further away from the old-fashioned RPI but that's because we spend lots of money each month on cheap Chinese dvd players. Not food, energy, petrol, council tax.... you know, those tempting extras of life. As wage inflation tends to follow CPI rather than RPI, we're all getting poorer, so pretty soon, it won't just be pensioners living on tins of dog-food or single mothers with 5 kids on the breadline who will treat themselves to the occasional intensively reared clucker - it'll be me too & those like me.

Perhaps the subtext of Delia's comments are, or should be that we could do something about human overcrowding before we bleed over chickens that we're going to kill and eat anyway. In the UK, babies under 1 do not count at all. Officially, they require zero space. Anyone who has a baby is patently aware of how much space they and their stuff require, but according to government statistics, its not even a square inch. Children between the ages of 1 and 10 count as half a human. This is a national disgrace, not the social lives of chickens.

1 comment:

Helga Hansen said...

Hi Hairy... found you via Lazy Phil!

I was in Tesco yesterday, doing a beat-the-4pm closure thing (I always shop on a Sunday), and I noticed (yet again, actually) just how many people hover around the little section they have in the store for the marked down goods. You know the type... fresh food that will be past its sell-by date come the stroke of midnight.

Anyway... not so long ago it was students who were hovering around that section, with the odd pensioner or two. Yesterday I had to battle my trolley around the area while there was a fair old scrum... consisting of studenty types, pensioners, and people my age, sort of late 30s, early 40s.

I must confess I am starting to become a shopper who mentally adds up her groceries as she goes around, and for a family of three, £100 doesn't go that far these days!!