Wednesday 5 March 2008

Maggot or Caterpillar?

Well, its all over, including most of the shouting, with K. He officially moves out next Saturday and the house is being pulled apart and tagged as his or hers. There have been some dicey moments when the threat of a row around who had absolute right to the wok loomed, but we've managed to back away from total insanity. We've even been getting on reasonably well, until he started to try to pin me down to what nights I was eating at what time and I could feel my blood pressure start to rise again.

And I've cried and told him that I'm sad its over. He's found somewhere to rent that is a state at the moment, but hopefully will be tarted up before he moves in. The location is perfect for him and he may even be able to buy it. If I give him a whacking great lump sum for the deposit. Which will sting a bit, but is fair enough. I'd rather see him settled - its one less thing on my conscience.

So I'm now starting to face up to reality of life on my own. I swing from ecstatic to terrified. The sprog is contemplating moving out, so I may have to get in a lodger at some point. Yuck - but perhaps that's too negative. And I have to acknowledge the growing infatuation with D. You know the pathetic thing where you can't settle until you know where they are, but once you do, you're just happy to be sharing the same building with them? Pitiful!

So which am I - a maggot for ending a 10 year relationship, or a caterpillar, about to metamorphosise?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrysalis, definitely :)

JW said...

Maggot or caterpillar? Hell, you're just a human being doing what has to be done. Don't let it worry you.

I don't think the division of the spoils is ever easy. And, of course, you're trying to sort this all out when you're least able, emotionally, to do so.

Still, at least you're now rapidly approaching the Big Day when you can properly mourn the end of the relationship, start to put it behind you and look forward to what your new life can offer you.